- There will be a period of open nominations of candidates for Zone 3 coordinator and Zone 6 coordinator (terms stated above and below).
- Only ISTA-Retired members residing in Zone 3 and Zone 6, who have retired from their education positions and whose membership forms have been processed by ISTA by December 2020, are eligible for nomination of the open positions listed above at their respective March 2021 meetings.
- The Retired Petition for Nominations and the Election Procedures for 8/2/2021 — 7/31/2024 term will be printed in the November/December and February/March issues of the retired newsletter, The Chalkboard, and posted on the retired page of the ISTA website.
- Nomination petition forms printed in the November/December and February/March issues of the retired newsletter, The Chalkboard, may be cut out or copied from The Chalkboard. The form must be signed by the nominee. ISTA will verify your membership ID number. Nominees may list three qualifications and any such statements must be six words.
- The petition of nomination must be returned to the Office of ISTA-Retired, Attn: ISTA-Retired Candidate Nomination, 150 W. Market St., Suite 900, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2875, and must be postmarked on or before midnight ET or hand-delivered no later than 4:30 p.m. ET on February 15, 2021, to the office of ISTA-Retired.
- Persons whose nominations are received by the Office of ISTA-Retired, as stipulated above, shall constitute the properly certified nominees.
- Following the close of the nominations on February 15, 2021, the names of all candidates and three listed qualifications will be printed and provided for the elections by eligible chapter representatives at the respective Zone 3 and Zone 6 meetings in March 2021.
- No dues money — local, district, state or national — may be used to promote the candidacy of an individual or groups of individuals running for office.
- The election for Zone 3 coordinator and Zone 6 coordinator shall be conducted at the respective Zone 3 and Zone 6 meetings in March 2021. The election rules will also be posted on the ISTA website and included in the November/December and February/March ISTA-Retired newsletter, The Chalkboard.
- Each of the Zone chapter’s four officers or four designated chapter representatives in attendance at the March 2021 Zone 3 and Zone 6 meetings shall be the voting members. In Zone coordinator elections, the retired chapter officers or designated chapter representatives attending the March Zone meeting are only eligible to vote for candidates in the Zone where they reside as retired members.
- Ballots will be provided by the office of ISTA-Retired for the Zone 3 and Zone 6 coordinator elections to be conducted at their respective March 2021 meetings.
- The names will be placed on the ballot in the order determined by drawing from a common receptacle by the designated retired staff with appropriate witnesses.
- Each ballot shall contain a list of the properly certificated candidates. No other information about candidates may be legally included on the ballot.
- Each eligible chapter representative may vote for one Zone coordinator candidate for their respective zone. Any ballot on which more votes appear than the total allowed shall not be counted.
- An officer of the state council or designee will provide all Zone ballots, a written report of the election results and the official registration document with names and addresses of the eligible voting chapter members for each Zone to the office of ISTA-Retired, Attn: ISTA-Retired Zone Coordinator Election, 150 West Market Street, Suite 900, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2875, within five days of the Zone election.
- Only those official ballots shall be counted.
- The ballots shall be impounded by ISTA for two (2) years.
- Any challenge to these rules or any activity or result governed by them shall be submitted in writing to the chair of the ISTA-Retired Statewide District Council, in care of the Indiana State Teachers Association, 150 W. Market St., Suite 900, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2875, by March 16, 2021.
- If necessary, the ISTA-Retired Statewide District Council Executive Committee will meet as soon as possible after receiving such challenge to review and act upon any submitted challenges. Any executive committee member who is a candidate for a position involved in a challenge shall be ineligible to participate as an executive committee member in the pertinent deliberations.
- The chair of the ISTA-Retired Statewide District Council will notify the appropriate party of the action of the executive committee.
If you have any questions about the Zone election, contact Becky Koerner at email@example.com.