Who are ISTA-Retired Members?
ISTA-Retired members remain connected to the education profession and colleagues following retirement. Retired members continue to support public education through the activities and programs of ISTA.
ISTA-Retired is holding elections for delegates to the 2022 and 2023 ISTA and NEA Representative Assemblies (RA). Election materials will be published in the fall Advocate and available online October 1, 2021. Retired nomination periods for both the ISTA and NEA RA are open until November 10, 2021, and elections will be held January 15 - February 25, 2022.
ISTA-Retired NEA RA Candidates
Find more information on the retired NEA RA delegate election here.
ISTA-Retired ISTA RA Candidates
Find more information about the ISTA RA here.
ISTA-Retired received fewer retired ISTA RA delegate nominees than allotted to retired members. The ISTA-Retired election guidelines waives the election by ballot and seats all members in good standing.
The retired members listed below will serve as the 2022 and 2023 ISTA RA delegates representing the ISTA-Retired members.
Last updated: January 13, 2022
- NEA-Retired President 2017-2023
- Past NEA/ISTA Board; ISTA Retired President
- Committees: Resolutions, Governance, Archives, ISTA Executive
Deborah Kay Brogan
- ISTA/NEA Delegate
- Local President
- ISTA Board of Directors
Ginger Lee Calhoun
- Retired Representative ISTA Board of Directors
- ISTA Retired Vice Chair State
- 1-F Retired President
James R. Clauser
- State council/executive secretary
- Archive Committee co-chair
- District 8 PAC
Sandra Yvette Collins
- lobby legislators to protect retiree benefits
- join in support for classroom teachers
- advocate for racial and social justice
- Retired State Chair
- NEA & ISTA Delegate
- IPACE Member
Sarah E. Ellcessor
- Chapter vice president
- Chapter secretary
- Chapter executive board member
Gerald R. Ervin
- ISTA-Retired Executive Board
- ISTA-Retired Zone 1 Coordinator
- ISTA-Retired Local President St. Joe Co.
Janet L. Hayes
- Zone 2 Coordinator for 4 Chapters
- “Chalkboard” Retired Newsletter Editor
- Local Retired Secretary/Treasurer Officer
Deb L. Marcum
- Experienced RA retired delegate
- District Liaison
- Retired Communications Committee
Damon P. Moore
- Past President ISTA 1982-88
- ISTA-R State delegate to NEA-RA 1988-92
- Local delegate ISTA-R council 1988-92
Rosemary H. Moore
- President, East Central Chapter
- Executive Committee Member/Officer
- Delegate, Numerous Pre-Retired and Retired
Rudolph B. Nichols
- Retired Board
- Retired liaison for Active Teacher Council
- Past NEA and ISTA Delegate
MaryAnn E. Pollard
- R.E.E.C.I. Chapter President
- Liaison to District Council
- Member of Retired District Council
Nancy C. Porter
- 1-B Retired Local Secretary/Treasurer
- 1-B member 7 years
- 1-B Retired Local Program Planning
- Scholarship for Students
Francis (Fran) B. Riley
- ISTA-Retired Communications Committee
- Secretary Vanderburgh County Retired Educators
- State Council Rep; Communication Committee Member
- President, Sullivan-Knox Chapter 6 years
- ISTA-NEA Delegate, numerous years
- ISTA-Retired Executive Committee
- Hamilton County Chapter President
- ISTA RA and NEA RA Delegate
Joanne L. Solomon
- Chapter president Greater INDY
- Former Building Rep – 36 years
- 1-B Retired Local President
- Retired Liaison to Active PPS Committee
- NEA and State Membership Committees Member
Stephen R. Tevebaugh
- Local treasurer
- ISTA Rep Assembly
- NEA Rep Assembly
Karen S. Warble
- ISTA-R Executive Committee
- ISTA-R Zone 6 Coordinator
- ISTA-R Communications Committee
Steve A. Wilson
- ISTA-Retired Legislative Committee
- NEA-Retired Legislative Committee
- NEA Leaders of Color Fellow
Joining ISTA-Retired is an opportunity for continuous membership in the Association. ISTA and NEA member benefits continue into retired membership. In addition, competitive rates for high-quality, long-term care insurance, Medicare supplemental insurance, retired dental and vision plans and liability insurance for substitute teaching become available to retired members.
Retired membership can be paid annually or by a lifetime membership, which locks-in the membership rate. Fill out an application to begin Retired membership.
Online payment is by credit card only. If you prefer to pay by electronic funds transfer (EFT) or by personal check, please complete the membership form or contact the Member Resource Center.
Questions? Contact the Member Resource Center at 844-ASK-ISTA844-ASK-ISTA (275-4782275-4782).
Active educators can secure lifetime membership in ISTA-Retired by purchasing a pre-retired subscription. This membership category allows active members to pay for a lifetime membership in ISTA-Retired at any point in their career. Dues for both active membership and pre-retired lifetime membership can be deducted through EasyPay or payroll deduction, making the process simple.
Those who choose to purchase a pre-retired subscription must maintain ISTA membership until retirement.
While advocating on behalf of public schools, educators and kids, ISTA-Retired also dedicates advocacy to key issues important to retired educators, such as securing a cost-of-living adjustment (COLA), establishing state funding for retired education employee health insurance premiums, maintaining social security and ensuring pension solvency.
ISTA-Retired provides an opportunity to remain connected to the profession to which they dedicated their careers. A membership in ISTA-Retired is a membership in ISTA and the National Education Association (NEA). ISTA-Retired members have the option to then join a local chapter to remain connected in their local community. The knowledge and experience of ISTA-Retired members are integral to the continued success of ISTA, with an ISTA-Retired member serving on the ISTA board of directors, four Retired member appointments to the ISTA Standing Committees and representation on Indiana Political Action Committee for Education (I-PACE).
ISTA-Retired raises funds for the ISTA Foundation District Scholarship. High school seniors who are who are children or grandchildren of current ISTA members are eligible. Learn more about the ISTA Foundation Retired Scholarship.
ISTA-Retired is organized into regional zones with local chapters for members to engage.
Click on the executive committee member name to email the member.
The ISTA-Retired Statewide District Council is composed of an elected ISTA-Retired Board of Directors member, Retired representatives to the four ISTA Standing Committees, Retired I-PACE representative, one Retired member from each chapter, zone coordinators, NEA elected Retired members and ISTA president or designee (ex-officio).
ISTA-Retired has a number of statewide subcommittees on which retired members can serve, including Legislative, Membership, Newsletter, Communications, Scholarship and Golden Touch Award.
ISTA-Retired produces a newsletter, The Chalkboard, delivering ISTA-Retired news to retired members.
ISTA-Retired staff liaison is Corey Kern.
Frequently asked questions
I have questions about retirement counseling, retirement pension direct deposit or retirement pension payments. Who can answer my questions?
The Teacher Retirement Fund (TRF) is a division of the Indiana Public Retirement System (INPRS). You can talk to an INPRS representative by calling 844-GO-INPRS (844-464-6777). To reach a representative, an automated voicemail service will prompt you to enter your pension ID and passcode. If you don’t have both readily available, stay on the line following the prompt. When the request goes unanswered following the second prompt, the phone system will automatically transfer you to a representative.
I’m now a member of ISTA-Retired. Can I choose to continue in an ISTA leadership position?
Yes, there are many opportunities available for Retired members to be active in the Association. Retired members have seats on the Board of Directors and governance and issue committees and can serve at the ISTA and NEA Representative Assemblies. Additionally, each ISTA-Retired chapter elects local officers.
Why should I choose ISTA-Retired over another professional retirement organization?
ISTA-Retired is the only organization that maintains your membership in the Association that has supported you throughout your career. Continue to receive NEA member benefits and discounts and enjoy the connection to colleagues. As an ISTA-Retired member, you can remain a vital instrument in supporting public education in Indiana.