WHEN: Wednesday, February 28, 2024
WHERE: Intech, 6325 Digital Way, Indianapolis, IN 46278
The Indiana Educators Rising Conference is hosted by ISTA for high school students interested in pursuing a career in education. Students will compete in teacher competencies, attend sessions, connect with peers and elect state officers. Learn more about Educators Rising.
All times are ET.
9:30 a.m. | Registration
10 a.m. | Welcome & Keynote Speaker
10:30 a.m. - noon | Breakout sessions & competitions/contests begin
Noon | Officer candidate statements, elections & lunch
12:45 p.m. | Breakout sessions & competitions resume
3:30 p.m.| Closing session & competition results
Jenkins teaches tenth-grade honors/general English/language arts, as well as Indiana University’s Advanced College Project (ACP) Composition Course W131. In his thirteenth year of teaching, Jenkins began his career at the American Christian Academy in Ibadan, Nigeria, in 2007 and moved back to the U.S. in 2008 to teach in Trussville, Alabama.
An Indiana native, Jenkins returned to central Indiana after receiving his Master of Science in Literacy from the State University of New York in 2013 to teach at Franklin Community High School. In addition to the completion of his Master’s work, Jenkins has a Master’s certificate in High Ability Education and pursued additional training in order to strengthen his classroom instruction and teach W131 for dual credit.
As Indiana Teacher of the Year, Jenkins will work to help elevate the teaching profession in Indiana, as well as represent Hoosier teachers at the national level.
For over 60 years, the Indiana Teacher of the Year Program has worked to inspire, rejuvenate, and celebrate the teaching profession by recognizing outstanding teachers from across the state.
In order for judges to be efficient with scoring, all competitors must submit pre-conference required documents to Kitty Sparks firstname.lastname@example.org for pre-judging by February 15th! Any items to be pre-scored will be noted in competition/contest guidelines.
The following competitions will be hosted at our state conference:
- Children’s Literature K-3
- Children’s Literature Pre-K
- Creative Lecture
- Educators Rising Leadership Award
- Educators Rising Moment
- Ethical Dilemma
- Exploring Education Administration Careers
- Exploring Non-Core Subject Area Teaching Careers
- Exploring Service Center Careers
- Impromptu Speaking
- Inside Our Schools
- Interactive Bulletin Board
- Job Interview
- Lesson Planning and Delivery - Arts
- Lesson Planning and Delivery - Career and Technical Education
- Lesson Planning and Delivery - Humanities
- Lesson Planning and Delivery - Spanish
- Lesson Planning and Delivery - STEM
- Outstanding Chapter
- Public Service Announcement - Teacher Recruitment
- Public Speaking
- Researching Learning Opportunities
- Teacher Created Materials