What is National Board Certification?
National Board Certification is the most respected professional certification available in education. Completion of National Board Certification signifies that a teacher has demonstrated the advanced knowledge, skills and practices required of an outstanding professional.
Created for teachers, by teachers, National Board Certification is performance-based and peer reviewed. Certification is available in 25 certificate areas from Pre-K through 12th grade in 16 disciplines.
National Board Certification is based on the Five Core Propositions:
- Teachers are committed to students and their learning.
- Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
- Teachers are members of learning communities.
Certification consists of four components:
- Content knowledge as evidenced by assessment center
- Differentiation in instruction as evidenced by reflection on student work and portfolio
- Teaching practice and classroom environment as evidenced by video recordings and portfolio
- Effective and reflective practitioner as evidenced by student/professional needs, use of assessment data and portfolio
To be eligible for National Board Certification, you must:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree with the exception of career and technical education teachers who must meet the licensure requirements for the state.
- Have completed three full years of teaching or school counseling.
- Possess a valid state teaching or counseling license with the exception of situations where a license is not required or you have taught in school recognized and approved to operate by the state.
ISTA Supports National Board Certification
ISTA is dedicated to increasing the number of National Board Certified Teachers in Indiana. ISTA offers a variety of financial support and online and in-person resources to help members achieve National Board Certification.
Some resources include intensive Jump Start Academies, candidate mentoring and Homestretch Seminars.
ISTA Foundation National Board Certification Scholarship
This scholarship is open to ISTA members who are candidates for National Board Certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.
Exploring National Board Workshops
Learn about the process, eligibility, cost and time commitments in becoming a National Board Certified Teacher. This workshop is for those who have not yet started the process to become nationally certified and for current National Board Certified Teachers to learn about changes in the certification process and how they can support new candidates.
Contact Angela Miller to schedule a workshop in your area.
National Board Jump Start Academies
ISTA PRC staff and National Board Certified Teachers provide candidates with extensive information about the certification process that is intended to jump start the NBC journey. Candidates engage in intensive work that provides specific requirements, successful strategies, relevant exercises and useful resources – all in a supportive, constructive, and collegial environment. Jump Start Academies are held on weekends (Friday evenings and Saturdays) at various locations around the state. Check back here for information on scheduled Jump Start Academies.
National Board Homestretch Seminars
Current National Board candidates will receive feedback and guidance from ISTA PRC staff and National Board Certified Teachers on components 2, 3 and 4 prior to the spring component submission. For more information on upcoming Homestretch Seminars, view upcoming seminars listed below.